If you don’t have the smile of your dreams, maybe you are considering dental implants to give you the captivating grin you’ve always longed for. But if you aren’t sure if you are a dental implant candidate, here are some common characteristics of most dental implant candidates:
- You have overall good oral health: If you have a few cavities and gum disease, you can still get dental implants, but the dentist will have to treat your gum disease and cavities first. Dental implants work best if your teeth are strong enough to support them.
- You have enough jaw bone: Since dental implants will be anchored to your jaw, you need sufficient bone to support them. But don’t worry if you have trouble with bone loss. The dentist can perform a procedure to build-up your jaw bone again before putting in your dental implants.
- You don’t smoke: Smoking isn’t just bad for your overall health, but also for your dental health. It can cause bone loss, tooth loss and periodontal disease. Research has shown that smoking can lead to dental implant failure. Another motive to quit smoking is to finally have a beautiful smile through dental implants.
- Your jaw bone has finished growing: Dental implants don’t work on children since their jaw bones are still growing. Once your jaw bone has finished growing, anyone of any age can receive dental implants.
- You have a strong commitment to dental health: Your dental implants could last a lifetime, just like the rest of your teeth. The trick is to make sure you take good care of them. To ensure their long life, just floss daily, brush your teeth twice a day and visit the dentist for your bi-annual check-ups.
If you have suffered tooth loss and now have partial or full dentures, dental implants can be used to replace your dentures and stabilize your teeth. They are also perfect for fixing chipped or cracked teeth and to restore your treasured smile.
To learn more about if you are a candidate for dental implants, contact the Lakeway Center for Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today and set-up your dental implant consultation.